Mori Ecology Lab
Akira S Mori
Yokohama National University
Tel & Fax: (+81) 45-339-4335
E-mail: akkym (at_mark) ynu.ac.jp *replace (at_mark) to @
Graduate School of Environment and Information Sciences
Yokohama National University
79-7 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya, Yokohama
Disturbance is ubiquitous in terrestrial ecosystems, and drives fundamental processes as long as it is at natural levels. Anthropocentric disturbance is increasingly becoming prominent in the present era of Anthropocene. Natural disturbance regime is also changing due to climate change. It is thus important, from both basic and applied perspectives, to understand the causes and consequences of disturbance.
Ecosystem management is one of the major approaches in modern resource management, which aims to conserve biological diversity while meeting the social, economic, political and cultural needs of current and future generations. More and more focuses are now given to management approaches founded on natural processes. In this regard, ecosystem management plays critical roles in coping with uncertainty and helping build resilience for both society and ecosystems.
There is a growing level of concerns and demands for safeguarding biodiversity. These concerns primarily derive from substantial declines in biodiversity at various spatial, temporal and biological scales. To date, there is still limited knowledge on how biodiversity is organized and changing under changing environments. Theoretical understandings of the community assembly processes can potentially help to conserve biodiversity at the local scale in the era of global change.
Currently, there is a growing body of scientific evidence indicating that biodiversity is not merely a response variable to environmental changes but also a predictor of various ecosystem functions and services, which are essential for sustaining human well-being. The knowledge of the relationships between biodiversity and ecosystem functioning is still not fully integrated but becoming to play a critical role in informing policy at multiple legislative scales. Biodiversity issues are thus no longer just “concerns” but rather ” demands” for the sake of humanity.
- Mori AS, Isbell F, Seidl R (2018) β-diversity, community assembly and ecosystem functioning. Trends in Ecology & Evolution : in press.
- Okimura T, Mori AS (2018) Functional and taxonomic perspectives for understanding the underlying mechanisms of native and alien plant distributions. Biodiversity and Conservation 27: 1453–1469.
- Masumoto S, Uchida M, Tojo M, Herrero M-I, Mori AS, Imura S (2018) The effect of tar spot pathogen on host plant carbon balance and its possible consequences on a tundra ecosystem. Oecologia 186: 843–853.
- Fujii S, Cornelissen JHC, Berg MP, Mori AS (2018) Tree leaf and root traits mediate soil faunal contribution to litter decomposition across an elevational gradient. Functional Ecology 32: 840-852.
- Mori AS (2018) Environmental controls on the causes and functional consequences of tree species diversity. Journal of Ecology 106: 113–125.
- Mori AS (2018) Modern threats to the stability of biological communities. In: Dominick A.
DellaSala, and Michael I. Goldstein (eds.) The Encyclopedia of the Anthropocene 3: 77-83. Oxford: Elsevier.
- Mori AS, Tatsumi S, Gustafsson L (2017) Landscape properties affect biodiversity response to retention approaches in forestry. Journal of Applied Ecology 54: 1627–1637.
- Mori AS, Osono T, Cornelissen JHC, Craine J, Uchida M (2017) Biodiversity-ecosystem function relationships change through primary succession. Oikos 126: 1637-1649.
- Tatsumi S, Ohgue T, Azuma W, Tuovinen V, Imada Y, Mori AS, Thor G, Ranlund Å (2017) Tree hollows can affect epiphyte species composition. Ecological Research 32: 503–509.
- Kobayashi Y, Mori AS (2017) The potential role of tree diversity in reducing shallow landslide risk. Environmental Management 59: 807-815.
- Mimura M, Yahara T, Faith DP, Vázquez-Domínguez E, Colautti RI, Araki H, Javadi F, Núñez-Farfán J, Mori AS, Zhou S, Hollingsworth PM, Neaves LE, Fukano Y, Sato I, Tachida H, Hendry AP (2017) Understanding and monitoring the consequences of human impacts on intraspecific variation. Evolutionary Applications 10: 121-139.
- Mori AS (2017) Biodiversity and ecosystem services in forests: management and restoration founded on ecological theory. Journal of Applied Ecology 54: 7-11.
- Mori AS, Lertzman K, Gustafsson L (2017) Biodiversity and ecosystem services in forest ecosystems: a research agenda for applied forest ecology. Journal of Applied Ecology 54: 12-27.
- Fujii S, Mori AS, Koide D, Makoto K, Osono T, Isbell F (2017) Disentangling relationships between plant diversity and decomposition processes under forest restoration. Journal of Applied Ecology 54: 80-90.
- Mori AS, Isbell F, Fujii S, Makoto K, Matsuoka S, Osono T (2016) Low multifunctional redundancy of soil fungal diversity at multiple scales. Ecology Letters 19: 249-259.
- Mori AS (2016) Resilience in the studies of biodiversity-ecosystem functioning. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 31: 87-89.
- Kasahara M, Fujii S, Tanikawa T, Mori AS (2016) Ungulates decelerate litter decomposition by altering litter quality above and below ground. European Journal of Forest Research 135: 849.
- Osono T, Mori AS, Uchida M, Kanda H (2016) Accumulation of carbon and nitrogen in vegetation and soils of deglaciated area in Ellesmere Island, high-Arctic Canada. Polar Science 10: 288-296.
- Fujii S, Mori AS, Kominami Y, Tawa Y, Inagaki Y, Takanashi S, Takeda H (2016) Differential utilization of root-derived carbon among collembolan species. Pedobiologia 59: 225-227.
- Nishizawa K,Tatsumi S, Kitagawa R, Mori AS (2016) Deer herbivory affects functional diversity of forest floor plants via changes in competition-mediated assembly rules. Ecological Research 31: 569-578.
- Craven D, Isbell F, Manning P, Bruelheide H, Ebeling A, Roscher C, Van Ruijven J, Weigelt A, Wilsey B, Beierkuhnlein C, Connolly J, De Luca E, Griffin JN, Hautier Y, Hector A, Jentsch A, Kreyling J, Lanta V, Loreau M, Meyer ST, Mori AS, Naeem S, Palmborg C, Polley HW, Reich PB, Schmid B, Siebenkäs A, Seabloom EW, Thakur MP, Tilman D, Voge A, Eisenhauer N (2016) Plant diversity effects on grassland productivity are robust to both nutrient enrichment and drought. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 371: 20150277.
- Fujii S, Makita N, Mori AS, Takeda H (2016) Plant species control and soil faunal involvement in the processes of above- and below-ground litter decomposition. Oikos 125: 883-892.
- Okimura T, Koide D, Mori AS (2016) Differential processes underlying the roadside distributions of native and alien plant assemblages. Biodiversity and Conservation 25: 995-1009.
- Matsuoka S, Mori AS, Kawaguchi E, Hobara S, Osono T (2016) Disentangling the relative importance of host tree community, abiotic environment, and spatial factors on ectomycorrhizal fungal assemblages along an elevation gradient. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 92: fiw044.
- Tatsumi S, Owari T, Mori AS (2016) Estimating competition coefficients in tree communities: a hierarchical Bayesian approach to neighborhood analysis. Ecosphere 7: e01273.
- Fujii S, Makita N, Mori AS, Takeda H (2016) A stronger coordination of litter decomposability between leaves and fine roots for woody species in a warmer region. Trees – Structure and Function 30: 395-404.
- Akçakaya, HR, Pereira, HM, Canziani G, Mbow C, Mori A, Palomo MG, Soberón J, Thuiller W, Yachi S (2016). Chapter 8. Improving the rigour and usefulness of scenarios and models through ongoing evaluation and refinement. The methodological assessment report on scenarios and models of biodiversity and ecosystem services. Secretariat of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES), Bonn, Germany.
- Mori AS, Shiono T, Haraguchi TF, Ota AT, Koide D, Ohgue T, Kitagawa R, Maeshiro R, ToeToeAung, Nakamori T, Hagiwara Y, Matsuoka S, Ikeda A, Hishi T, Hobara S, Mizumachi E, Frisch A, Thor G, Fujii S, Osono T, Gustafsson L (2015) Functional redundancy of multiple forest taxa along an elevational gradient: predicting the consequences of non-random species loss. Journal of Biogeography 42: 1383-1396.
- Mori AS, Ota AT, Fujii S, Seino T, Kabeya D, Okamoto T, Ito MT, Kaneko N, Hasegawa M (2015) Concordance and discordance between taxonomic and functional homogenization: Responses of soil mite assemblages to forest conversion. Oecologia 179: 527-535.
- Mori AS, Fujii S, Kitagawa R, Koide D (2015) Null model approaches to evaluating the relative role of different assembly processes in shaping ecological communities. Oecologia 178: 261-273.
- Mori AS, Ota AT, Fujii S, Seino T, Kabeya D, Okamoto T, Ito MT, Kaneko N, Hasegawa M (2015) Biotic homogenization and differentiation of soil faunal communities in the production forest landscape: Taxonomic and functional perspectives. Oecologia 177: 533-544.
- Mori AS, Qian S, Tatsumi S (2015) Academic inequality through the lens of community ecology: a meta-analysis. PeerJ 3: e1457.
- Hagiwara Y, Matsuoka S, Hobara S, Mori AS, Hirose D, Osono T (2015) Bleaching of leaf litter and associated microfungi in subboreal and subalpine forests. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 61: 735-743.
- Isbell F, Craven D, Connolly J, Loreau M, Schmid B, Beierkuhnlein C, Bezemer TM, Bonin C, Bruelheide H, De Luca E, Ebeling A, Griffin JN, Guo Q, Hautier Y, Hector A, Jentsch A, Kreyling J, Lanta V, Manning P, Meyer ST,Mori AS, Naeem S, Niklaus PA, Polley HW, Reich PB, Roscher C, Seabloom EW, Smith MD, Thakur MP, Tilman D, Tracy BF, Van Der Putten WH, Van Ruijven J, Weigelt A, Weisser WW, Wilsey B, Eisenhauer N (2015) Biodiversity increases the resistance of ecosystem productivity to climate extremes. Nature 526: 574-577.
- Kitagawa R, Mimura M, Mori AS, Sakai S (2015) Topographic patterns in the phylogenetic structure of wood communities in temperate forest on steep mountainous terrain. AoB Plants 7: plv134.
- Sasaki T, Furukawa T, Iwasaki Y, Seto M, Mori AS (2015) Perspectives for ecosystem management based on ecosystem resilience and ecological thresholds against multiple and stochastic disturbances. Ecological Indicators 57: 395-408.
- Mori AS (2015) Modern threats to stability of biological communities. Reference Module in Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences, Elsevier doi:10.1016/B978-0-12-409548-9.09191-0
- Mori AS, Kitagawa R (2014) Retention forestry as a major paradigm for safeguarding forest biodiversity in productive landscapes: A global meta-analysis. Biological Conservation 175: 65-73.
- Mori AS*, Fujii S*, Kurokawa H (2014) Ecological consequences through responses of plant and soil communities to changing winter climate. Ecological Research 29: 547-559. (*Equal contribution)
- Fukasawa Y, Katsumata S, Mori AS, Osono T, Takeda H (2014) Accumulation and decay dynamics of coarse woody debris in a Japanese old-growth subalpine coniferous forest. Ecological Research 29: 257-269.
- Ikeda A, Matsuoka S, Masuya H, Mori AS, Hirose D, Osono T (2014) Comparison of the diversity, composition, and host recurrence of xylariaceous endophytes in subtropical, cool temperate, and subboreal regions in Japan. Population Ecology 56: 289-300.
- Qian S, Saito W, Mimura M, Kaneko S, Isagi Y, Mizumachi E, Mori AS (2014) Asymmetric gene flow and the distribution of genetic diversity in morphologically distinct Abies mariesii populations in contrasting eco-habitats. Plant Ecology 215: 1385-1397.
- Mori AS, Furukawa T, Sasaki T (2013) Response diversity determines the resilience of ecosystems to environmental change. Biological Reviews 88: 349-364.
- Mori AS, Shiono T, Koide D, Kitagawa R, Ota AT, Mizumachi E (2013) Community assembly processes shape an altitudinal gradient of forest biodiversity. Global Ecology and Biogeography 22: 878-888.
- Mori AS, Spies TA, Sudmeier-Rieux K, Andrade A (2013) Reframing ecosystem management in the era of climate change: issues and knowledge from forests. Biological Conservation 165: 115-127.
- Mori AS, Johnson EA (2013) Assessing possible shifts in wildfire regimes under a changing climate in mountainous landscapes. Forest Ecology and Management 310: 875-886.
- Mori AS, Uchida M, Kanda H (2013) Non-stochastic colonization by pioneer plants after deglaciation in a polar oasis of the Canadian High Arctic. Polar Science 7: 278-287.
- Mimura M, Mori AS, Uchida M, Kanda H (2013) Colonization of vegetation-rich moraines and inference of multiple sources of colonization in the High Arctic for Salix arctica. Conservation Genetics 13: 223-229.
- Mizumachi E, Mori AS, Osawa N, Akiyama R, Tokuchi N (2012) Variation in herbivory-induced responses within successively flushing Quercus serrata seedlings under different nutrient conditions. Journal of Forest Research 17: 175-183.
- Mori AS (2011) Making society more resilient. Nature 474: 284.
- Mori AS (2011) Ecosystem management based on natural disturbances: Hierarchical context and non-equilibrium paradigm. Journal of Applied Ecology 48: 280-292.
- Mori AS (2011) Climatic variability regulates the occurrence and extent of large fires in subalpine forests of the Canadian Rockies. Ecosphere 2: art7.
- Mori AS, Lertzman KP (2011) Historic variability in fire-generated landscape heterogeneity of subalpine forests in the Canadian Rockies. Journal of Vegetation Science 22: 45-58.
- Mori AS, Niinemets Ü (2010) Plant responses to heterogeneous environments: Scaling from shoot modules and whole plant functions to ecosystem processes. Ecological Research 25: 691-692.
- Mori AS, Mizumachi E (2009) Within-crown structural variability of dwarfed mature Abies mariesii in a snowy subalpine parkland in central Japan. Journal of Forest Research 14: 155-166.
- Ishii H, Yoshimura K, Mori A (2009) Convergence of leaf display and photosynthetic characteristics of understory Abies amabilis and Tsuga heterophylla in an old-growth forest in southwestern Washington State, USA. Tree Physiology 29: 989-998.
- Mori AS, Fukasawa Y, Takeda H (2008) Tree mortality and habitat shifts in the regeneration trajectory underneath canopy of an old-growth subalpine forest. Forest Ecology and Management 255: 3758-3767.
- Mori AS, Komiyama A (2008) Differential survival among life-stages contributes to co-dominance of Abies mariesii and Abies veitchiiin a subalpine old-growth forest. Journal of Vegetation Science 19: 239-244.
- Mori AS, Mizumachi E, Sprugel DG (2008) Morphological acclimation to understorey environments in Abies amabilis, a shade- and snow-tolerant conifer species of the Cascade Mountains, Washington, USA. Tree Physiology 28: 815-824.
- Mori AS, Osono T, Uchida M, Kanda H (2008) Changes in the structure and heterogeneity of vegetation and microsite environments with the chronosequence of primary succession on a glacier foreland in Ellesmere Island, high arctic Canada. Ecological Research 23: 363-370.
- Doi Y, Mori AS,Takeda H (2008) Adventitious root formation of two Abies species on log and soil in an old-growth subalpine forest in central Japan. Journal of Forest Research 13: 190-195.
- Doi Y, Mori AS,Takeda H (2008) Conifer establishment and root architectural responses to forest floor heterogeneity in an old-growth subalpine forest in central Japan. Forest Ecology and Management 255: 1472-1478.
- Mori AS, Mizumachi E, Komiyama A (2007). Roles of disturbance and demographic non-equilibrium in species coexistence, inferred from 25-year dynamics of a late-successional old-growth subalpine forest. Forest Ecology and Management 241: 74-83.
- Mori A, Hasegawa SF (2007). Structural characteristics of Abies mariesiisaplings in a snowy subalpine parkland in central Japan. Tree Physiology 26: 141-148.
- Mori AS, Mizumachi E, Sprugel DG (2007). Possible impacts of changing snow regimes on growth and distribution of conifer species in high elevation ecosystems. Proceedings of the International Symposium “Asian Collaboration in IPY 2007-2008”, National Institute of Polar Research, pp201-204.
- Doi Y, Mori AS,Takeda H (2007). Dynamics of tree fine roots in a forest-meadow ecotone developed on Tateyama Mountain Range in central Japan. Proceedings of the International Symposium “Asian Collaboration in IPY 2007-2008”, National Institute of Polar Research, pp208-211.
- Mizumachi E, Mori AS (2007) Current-year shoots and branches structural variations within the crown of Abies mariesii growing in a forest-meadow ecotone developed on Tateyama Mountain Range in central Japan. Proceedings of the International Symposium “Asian Collaboration in IPY 2007-2008”, National Institute of Polar Research, pp 205-207.
- Mori A, Osono T, Iwasaki S, Uchida M, Kanda H (2006) Initial recruitment and establishment of vascular plants in relation to topographical variation in microsite conditions on a recently-deglaciated moraine on Ellesmere Island, high arctic Canada. Polar Bioscience 19: 85-95.
- Mizumachi E, Mori A, Osawa N, Akiyama R, Tokuchi N (2006) Shoot development and extension of Quercus serratasaplings in responses to insect damages and nutrient conditions. Annals of Botany 98：219-226.
- Osono T, Mori A, Uchida M, Kanda H (2006) Chemical property of live and dead leaves of 14 tundra plant species in Oobloyah Valley, Ellesmere Island, high arctic Canada. Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on the Arctic Research pp144-155.
- Mori A, Mizumachi E (2005) Season and substrate effects on the first-year establishment of current-year seedlings of major conifer species in an old-growth subalpine forest in central Japan. Forest Ecology and Management 210: 461-467.
- Mori A, Takeda H (2005) Changes in shoot properties in relation to vertical positions within the crown of mature canopy trees of Abies mariesii and Abies veitchii. Journal of Forest Research 10: 51-55.
- Osono T, Mori A (2005) Seasonal and leaf age-dependent changes in occurrence of phyllosphere fungi of giant dogwood. Mycoscience 46: 273-279.
- Mori A, Takeda H (2004)Effects of undisturbed canopy structure on population structure and species coexistence in an old-growth subalpine forest in central Japan. Forest Ecology and Management 200: 89-100.
- Mori A, Mizumachi E, Osono T, Doi Y (2004) Substrate-associated seedling recruiment and establishment of major conifer species in an old-growth subalpine forest in central Japan. Forest Ecology and Management 196: 287-297.
- Mori A, Takeda H (2004) Functional relationships between crown morphology and within-crown characteristics of understory saplings of three codominant conifers in a subalpine forest in central Japan. Tree Physiology 24: 661-670.
- Mori A, Takeda H (2004) Effects of mixedwood canopies on conifer advance regeneration in a subalpine old-growth forest in central Japan. Écoscience 11:36-44.
- Osada N, Tateno R, Mori A, Takeda H (2004) Changes in crown development patterns and current-year shoot structure with light environments and tree height in Fagus crenata(Fagaceae). American Journal of Botany 91: 1981-1989.
- Osono T, Mori A(2004) Distribution of phyllosphere fungi within the canopy of giant doogwood. Mycoscience 45: 161-168.
- Mori A, Takeda H (2003) Architecture and neighborhood competition of understorey saplings in a subalpine forest in central Japan. Écoscience 10: 217-224.
- Mori A, Takeda H (2003) Light-related competitive effects of overstory trees on the understory conifer saplings in a subalpine forest. Journal of Forest Research 8: 163-169.
- Osono T, Mori A (2003) Colonization of Japanese beech leaves by phyllosphere fungi. Mycoscience 44: 427-441.